THIS SPRING BREAK:
HELP BUILD ROSA A HOME!
Rosa was living with her daughter and her daughter's five children in two rooms made of pallets and cardboard.
Then her son's five children were placed in an orphanage. Rosa—not wanting her grandchildren to be raised in an institution—took all five to live with her. Now she and her daughter care for 10 children in those two rooms. The cardboard walls are all that separates them from the wind, the rain, and the desert sun.
Rosa makes tamales under the mesquite tree in her yard and sells them in the street. Her daughter works in a gas station.
Who are we?
Every spring break, for the past thirty-four years, EFC has built homes in Mexico for people in need. We call this mission trip GAGA, which stands for "Get Away Give Away".
This year's trip will be March 22-31, 2018. This year, it's Rosa's turn. We'll build her and her daughter two simple, sturdy homes connected by an outdoor living area/patio.
We'll also build a home for a family now living in a small, borrowed trailer. Mexican social service agencies have selected these families.
We also plan to do renovation work at a women's drug and alcohol rehab center in Mexico.
We are a loving group of people who are focused on our mission. We travel and work together, we sleep in tents in the desert, and we worship together every morning. Our commitment is to honor the One we serve. This commitment includes serving one another.
WHO CAN COME?
- Those with servant hearts. You do not have to be a church member or hold Christian beliefs to participate. We ask that you keep in mind that it will be a Jesus-focused time of service and ministry.
- All ages are welcome. We have had people in their nineties on the trip—there is something for everyone to do. However, children under ninth grade must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- No construction experience is necessary. Just be willing to learn.
- Participants come from all over Oregon and other states as well.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- Individual team members: $580 each. This includes $170 to purchase construction materials.
- Three from the same family: $1,520. Four from the same family: $2,040, and five family members: $2,480.
I'M INTERESTED. WHAT DO I DO NOW?
Click to download the application and registration packet; complete and return the forms to Eugene Friends Church. Space is limited, so apply soon.If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
EFC will host an informational meeting. However, the meeting scheduled for Jan4th has been cancelled - Clyde needs to be in Mexico then to make arrangements for the trip.
CANCELLED: The INFO meeting for Jan 4th
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO HELP?
Be a part of protecting Rosa's family and the other families from Mexico's unrelenting desert climate. Help her grandchildren learn how generous people can be. You may click on "donate now" above, or send a check to the EFC church office at 3495 W. 18th Avenue, Eugene, OR 97402. Specify "Mexico trip" on the memo line. Thank you!